Replacement of the warehouse management system
UniWare-LVS for central distribution center and external warehouses
The warehouse management system (WMS) introduced in 2001 in the central distribution center and the system for managing the external warehouses as well as two gateway systems were to be replaced by an integrated, up-to-date warehouse management system - so instead of four systems, the company wanted to manage just one software in the future.
The task was to find a new, future-proof WMS for the Schaffhausen site with its central warehouse and two external warehouses, as well as two other warehouse locations in Switzerland.
In particular, the new warehouse management system should ensure the further development of customer requirements in the long term.
Due to the complexity of the WMS software, it was divided into six stages with gradually increasing functionality. For each stage, a test system was provided to the customer early in the project. In an iterative process, the functionality was refined together. This agile way of working meant that Unitechnik and Georg Fischer had ONE picture of the status of the project at all times and early feedback was possible.
For the in-house testing phase, the entire physical plant was mapped in the UniWare emulator to enable test runs independent of the real plant. The subsystems conveyor technology, stacker cranes, mobile and stationary WMS clients were simulated. Together with the data transfer and the subsequent ERP messages of the following day, a complete production day could be simulated.
In addition to a UniWare test system connected to the SAP test system, the customer was also provided with a test system with emulation ("gaming system").
Prior to go-live, integration tests with UniWare and the automated systems were performed over 6 weekends. The life cycle support from the functional specification to the after-sales service is ensured by Unitechnik through a competent project team.
Reference as PDF
Georg Fischer Piping Systems AG
Technology and key figures
- UniWare warehouse management system (WMS) with integrated material flow control system and plant visualization
- 3 locations with 5 loading points, additional connection of two remote production plants (goods receiving function)
- Connection of 20 stacker cranes in three automatic areas
- Connection of pallet, tote and carton conveyor systems
- Over 110 WMS workstations (mobile and stationary)
- Interface to SAP ERP
- Interface to Transporeon (Transport Management)
- Interfaces to shipping service providers (DHL, DPD, FedEx)
- Interfaces to third-party plant control systems with various protocols
- Automatic and manual storage areas
Other UniWare highlights:
- Plant calendar-based route creation for customer deliveries
- Electronic delivery bills and Excel-based reports via e-mail from UniWare
- Individually configurable dashboard
- Picking for assembly
- Shipping from production
- Dock and yard management
- Long-term archiving of order data
- Excel-based monthly statements and daily statistics